It just hit me…everyone is at the Bead & Button Show in Milwaukee. Except me. And you. Our sales go down because everyone is at the show shopping. We can’t chat with all of our friends because they won’t be on line until late tonight after the show. So what do we do?
Here are some survival rules to keep in mind for those of us left behind next year:
Before the show:
- Do a ‘good weather’ dance at least three days before the show. This way, when the show starts it will be beautiful outside and you can distract yourself with an outdoor activity. Or yard work. (Aren’t you glad you’re not at the show now? All those chumps shopping for beading stuff will come home to jungles.)
- Go to your favorite forums and put a temporary block on search terms like “Who is going to Bead & Button?” and “I’m Here!” I don’t know if you can really do that but if you can, it will help you to avoid those threads and save you from feeling left out.
- Exercise. Burn those extra calories a couple weeks before the show because you’re going to need it for our pity party. (See tomorrow’s Surviving Bead and Button Show: During the show).
- Find your happy place. Prepare ahead for what you will do when you feel those angry, envious, resentful feelings coming up when you think about all the fun you’re missing. Hurry…that last sentence could have taken you to that not-so-pretty place already. There will be more of those very soon. Remember, the best defense is a good offense.
- Start saving now. After you experience what you’re going to experience while everyone is away (especially if you’ve been to Bead & Button before) you will never let yourself miss another one. If you can put away $20 a week starting now, you will have about $1000 to spend by this time next year.
- Use the buddy system. Plan ahead to have a fellow non-attending Bead & Button buddy to be able to call at any time of the day or night. You can talk each other down if needed.